Over recent months, we have been engaging with local residents and community groups on our ideas for the future of the site to ensure our proposals respond to what local people say Walworth needs.
We are grateful to all who have shared their feedback throughout the process so far.
In addition to constructive discussions with Southwark Council, this feedback has helped to shape the developed plans which we will be sharing in December. We are keen to hear your final thoughts on these plans ahead of submission to the Council.
Our developing proposals include:
- A new public courtyard garden, creating a welcoming, green space for all and helping to significantly increase biodiversity.
- A dedicated space for the local community, incorporating a community kitchen, accessed directly from the high street.
- A new pedestrian route through the site (closed overnight), linking Walworth Road and Amelia Street and connecting into the Low Line.
- Flexible retail space, supporting local growth, creating jobs and bringing activity to the high street.
- Retention of 100% of the Walworth Road building’s structural frame to reduce the development’s overall carbon impact.
- 23 affordable and energy-efficient homes for local people – including larger, family-sized homes.
- 283 purpose-built student bedrooms, responding to Southwark’s existing shortfall and helping to free up local family housing.
Illustrative view showing proposed community space